Saturday, October 29, 2011

Hurdle Busters and Other Friends: Part Two

I have been putting off this post, mostly because the list of friends and family members who are helping, providing guidance, listening to every minute detail about this journey on our runs through Oak Park, is simply to long and too important to cover in one short entry.

There is one person in particular who stands out.  I am only recently getting to know him and I am pretty sure that I can count him among my friends.

Several weeks ago, I received a call from John Schiess, an architect and developer in Oak Park.  He was referred to me from a friend of a friend of a friend.  I knew of of his work here and had met him about 15 years ago when he worked on a project at the end of our block (demolished a casket factory and built luxury town homes in its place).

Little did I know how important that phone call would be.  He has become a trusted advisor, a mentor and an advocate for helping to find the perfect location within Oak Park.  He is making connections to people who want to help.  He knows the ropes, the pitfalls and the land mines.  Even more importantly, he has creative vision.

Yesterday, I hit a bit of a speed bump.  I spoke with John who lifted my spirits, helped me refocus and offered a solution that is better than I could have imagined (let alone create on my own), almost too good to be true.

When I hung up the phone, I asked my Dad, who is visiting (saving our lives) this week, "Why am I so lucky?"

My dad's response to me is that we create our own good fortune.

I agree and would add that there is some element of just plain good luck.



Two Tuscan Farms  by William Renzulli

No comments:

Post a Comment