Thursday, November 3, 2011

The U in F.U.D.

Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt.

I am not afraid.  I also don't doubt that the Oak Park School of Rock can and will be successful.  I am, however, a little uncertain about a few things.

My sister, Beth, who has a slightly irreverent, always funny and straight-from-the-heart blog about her experiences as an internist, gave me some blogging advice.  I asked her if I use the word "I" too much and she assured me that my use of the word was appropriate.  She said to be real.  She liked my post about  FUD.  With her advice in mind, I am going to talk about it again.

I am coming to grips with the fact that I am actually happily employed, I feel valued, and I am still upwardly mobile.  Just yesterday, someone pulled me aside at a sales summit that I helped to put on and said to me, "Amy, I hope that you are here for a long time.  You bring warmth and heart to our company and we need that." What am I thinking?!!  Am I nuts?

I don't think so.

I am uncertain about what our lives will look like in a few months.  I am not sure exactly what the work/life/business owner balance will be.  I don't have all of the answers yet.  I know that I don't want to let people down and disappoint them, whether it be my family, my coworkers or even the people who hired me.  I do know that I want something more.

To quote John Sweeney, from the  Brave New Workshop, an improv group that performed at our summit,  "I am comfortably uncomfortable."  I am OK with uncertainty for now.

1 comment:

  1. It has been my experience that when you are on the verge of leaving something in which you are good and successful it suddenly becomes more attractive and exerts subtle and not so subtle pressures on you to remain in place. I've always taken this as the last supreme test of the validity of the anticipated move/change.

    ReplyDelete